How to Maximize Your Potential and Generate Sales with Social Media
June 26, 2013
Social media for businesses today is far beyond posts with links, it has now become a standalone marketing channel that your business can no longer afford to live without. This is a great opportunity to increase your revenue significantly simply by highlighting the best features of your business and spreading the word.
Think about what makes your business unique and take a comprehensive and creative approach to social media. If you don’t know how and where to start we’re happy to give you an example, but you can also have this work done for you by a professional.
No matter how small your small business is, it can have a great impact. Let’s say you’ve just opened your own little cupcake store in the neighborhood and you want take orders online in addition to those from people in your actual store.
- First thing’s first: You must have your products photographed professionally. These photographs are crucial, and should be used across marketing channels both online and offline. Have inviting posters with pictures of your products in your actual store with a QR code that people could scan with their smartphones so that they can easily find it (don’t forget to include your social media usernames as well).
- The best way to make online orders available directly from your site would be to have an ecommerce mechanism so people could order your lovely cupcakes and pay for them without having to make a call. Add the picture of each cupcake with its price, desired quantity and social media buttons (tweet, pin it, like and +1 are the most important ones) to get your customer’s friends interested too.
- If you choose not to use an ecommerce structure, that is fine, but make sure to include as many high quality pictures on your site as possible for people to call and order. Make sure to have your contact info very clear and accessible throughout the site, in addition to inviting icons to follow your business via the different social media accounts.
Here are a few tips to generate traffic and sales from your different social media accounts (those considered the most important ones):
- Make sure to use your best product pictures and logo for the profile and cover photos. Don’t forget to add your phone number and address to your cover picture.
- Publish photos of your fresh-made cupcakes of the day or success stories.
- Create a local listing for people to be able to check in whenever they come in to your store.
- Allow people to post on your wall – share great reviews written on your wall from time to time and address negative reviews as quickly as possible with a satisfying solution. Do your best to pay attention to all post on your wall (at least like them).
- Make sure to have a “call” button from your page info.
- Include all the information about your store in the “about” section – describe your business in an inviting way, introduce yourself talk about your background and credibility as a professional, add the store’s working hours and much more.
- Constantly publish limited-time offers and promotions.
- Throw “sharing giveaways” and competitions to encourage more fans to join.
- Encourage people to place order on your wall or via private messages – be responsive!
- Create sponsored campaigns that will show up on people’s feeds by interests
- Take care of your background and profile pictures to make your business inviting. Here too make sure to add your contact info everywhere possible.
- Fill in every little detail and contact info in the description. Use relevant keywords to help anyone who might be looking you up on twitter.
- Upload the pictures of your fresh baked goods and limited time offers here as well.
- Make sure that your followers know when popular products are ready (e.g. in 10 minutes) – this creates excitement and it serves as an invitation for people to come to the store.
- Create a #hashtag for orders via twitter or for any possible competition you might be throwing.
- Use sponsored tweets to further promote your business.
- Thank every single person who follows you and follow them back.
- Make sure to include all the possible info about your business in your Instagram profile (these can also be pictures of you at work and the tools you use to show how professional you are).
- Post the most beautiful picture of each of your cupcakes for people to follow.
- Create a #hashtag for people to take their own pictures of your cupcakes or of themselves eating them. They want to share your products with their friends, and you win more customers.
- Create picture competitions by assigning a specific #hashtag – post all the details of the competition on Facebook or add an Instagram app on Facebook for this purpose.
- Make sure to constantly post the most beautiful images you possibly can so that these can get “pinned”.
- Add a detailed description to each and make it inviting – don’t forget to use keywords for possible searches!
- Occasionally add the cupcake’s price to the description – if you add a $ sign it will appear on the image (don’t do this for each cupcake so it doesn’t look too much like a store, that might be confusing as you can’t buy products on Pinterest, yet.)
- Give your followers “projects” and invite them to recreate cupcakes you post or make a competition out of it.
- Constantly post your freshly baked goods, just like you do for the rest.
5. Google +:
- Create your local listing on Google Plus: Include every possible bit of information about your business, especially its website, location, opening hours, payment methods, links to other social media channels, and especially every way in which you can be contacted.
- Post promotions, links and pictures – This listing might increase your chances to appear on the Google search results, as one of the five results (or sometimes more) of the 1st page, giving you a chance to outrank your competitors that do not have this type of listing.
A few more important tips in general:
- Make sure that all of your social media accounts link to each other and, most importantly, to your site.
- Encourage good reviews on all your social media channels with a lot of free goodies.
- Encourage a “refer a friend” policy in return for free stuff, exclusive promotions or discounts.
These tips were meant to give you a general direction that your business can take to increase your customer base via social media and how to do it right. You can choose to adapt them all to your business or just one or two of them, but the conclusion is that proper management of your social media channels can increase your customer base significantly so it deserves proper attention. Monitor your social activity done whether by your staff or yourself, or hire a professional to work alongside with.
Remember that the bigger and stronger your social media presence is, the more attention you get from search engines, which cannot afford to ignore you.
The author's views are entirely his or her own and may not reflect the views of Revolution Flyers, Inc.
This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 at 6:12 am and is filed under Social Networking . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.